Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Home cooking with kibble as the base

I had started to make Skippy's food myself. I used oatmeal and potato's at the time. Then he swelled up like a balloon starting with his mouth and muzzle. So we had to take him to an emergency vet in the middle of the night. I briefly mention this in my blog about potato's and tomato's. They had to put him on steroids and the vet thought maybe it was something he picked up from his bowls. So we changed him over to stainless steal bowls. So after that scare I started feeding him kibble again. I did not know until recently he had another incident where he started swelling up, when Natural Balance decided to change their formula without telling anyone than all off a sudden new and improved formula showed up on the bag.

Now I know it is the night shade variety's that cause this. So I can go back to cooking again and there is so much more info on the internet. Yet I still feel comfortable having a kibble as my base after going through that fiasco(just have to make sure there is no night shade variety in the kibble). We are starting with making lots of good treats for Skippy and then we will add more variety as we go along. I am going to use the pumpkin cookie recipe I came up with and use apple sauce instead of pumpkin. Kids and I should have fun making them. We cut the pumpkin ones out with a fox terrier cookie cutter and the apple ones we will cut out with an apple cookie cutter.

1 comment:

  1. What a scary thing to have happen in the middle of the night, Skippy!
    Your homemade cookies sound delicious!

    Love ya lots
    Maggie and Mitch

    ReplyDelete